Fear of the unknown can keep people from making potentially life-changing changes, and LASIK vision correction is no exception.
If you’ve been thinking about getting out of those bulky eyeglasses or irritating contact lenses, don’t let anxiety stop you from breaking free with a Detroit LASIK procedure. There are five key facts you need to know about LASIK that will soothe your fears and make the decision easier.
1. Patients often describe LASIK as a “quick and painless procedure.” SoftTouch LASIK eye surgery takes only 10 to 15 minutes, and only a few seconds of that time is spent under the laser. As short as this procedure is, many patients report that it seems to fly by even faster than that.
2. LASIK complications are rare. LASIK has a well-deserved reputation for safety. Injuries and complications are uncommon, and patients can further reduce their risks by carefully following their surgeon’s post-operative instructions. The surgeon provides special antibiotic and steroid drops to prevent infection and swelling after LASIK.
3. You won’t mess up your LASIK surgery. Some LASIK candidates worry that a cough, a sneeze, blink or some other involuntary movement will compromise their results, or even lead to injury. There is no need for concern: During LASIK surgery, the eyelid is immobilized to prevent blinking. The surgeon will also use a special tracking system to monitor even the tiniest eye movements and adjust the surgical laser accordingly. This gives the surgeon pinpoint accuracy, even if the patient twitches.
4. You’ll save money overall. If you’ve been wearing glasses and/or contact lenses for a while, you know how expensive they can get. Prescription eyeglasses can cost a few hundred dollars, or even $1,000 or more, depending on how many bells and whistles you get. Contact lenses can be even more costly. Those costs rack up over time, especially for people whose prescription changes every year.
In comparison, LASIK vision correction is a one-time investment that can be paid in installments. Once it’s paid for, you’re done. Many LASIK patients save tens of thousands of dollars over a lifetime of being free of glasses and contacts!
5. LASIK results are impressive. Lake Lazer Eye Center has helped thousands of patients achieve better eyesight. After more than two decades of use, LASIK enjoys a stellar track record nationwide, with 99 percent of LASIK patients in the United States achieving at least 20/40 vision. More than 90 percent achieve 20/20 or better, according to the Journal of Cataract & Refractive Surgery. (Journal of Cataract & Refractive Surgery, Vol. 42, Issue 8, August 2016, Pages 1224-1234). The Journal found that LASIK has about a 96 percent satisfaction rate as well, making it the highest rated elective surgery.
When choosing a LASIK surgeon, you want to ensure you select someone with years of experience and the most advanced, proven technologies to customize your procedure to your unique eyes.
The first step in the LASIK process is to find out if you’re a candidate. Take our 60-second self-test to see if permanent vision correction is for you, or tap here to request a free consultation with Dr. Khambati.
Lake Lazer Eye Center offers up-front pricing, and convenient and affordable payment plans for SoftTouch LASIK and the SMILE procedure. Dr. Khambati has helped thousands of people from all over the world escape the restrictions of glasses and contacts. In the event that you’re not a candidate for vision correction, we’ll assist you with a contact lens evaluation or a selection of designer and specialty eyewear.