Could the chilly winter be the hot time for LASIK? We think so!
Spring and fall offer comfortable temperatures, while summer was custom-made for recovering during vacation time. But there are favorable conditions during winter that you may not have considered. Learn why winter may be the best time for LASIK in the Detroit area.
Why get LASIK surgery in winter?
The best time for LASIK is subjective, of course, but there are upsides to getting laser eye surgery during the winter that make it ideal for many. Here are a few of those advantages:
- There are more (and longer) opportunities for down time. It’s becoming more common for employers to give employees additional days off during the holidays. Even if they don’t, though, there are plenty of federal holidays during winter when you may be off on days when the LASIK surgery center is open: Christmas Eve, New Year’s Eve, Valentine’s Day, Martin Luther King Jr. Day and President’s Day, for example. (Check with Detroit LASIK provider Lake Lazer Eye Center for holiday hours to plan your appointment.) Take advantage of paid holidays for surgery or post-surgical recovery.
- You’re less active in general. During frigid months, we tend to spend more time indoors—as in out of the elements—making winter an ideal time for vision correction. While the recovery time is quite short (and even shorter for the ZEISS SMILE procedure), winter affords you fewer opportunities for sports and strenuous activities that may tempt you into pushing yourself too soon.
- Healing is more comfortable. One of our Detroit LASIK patients’ favorite things about our advanced laser vision correction procedures is how quickly the healing process takes place. While you won’t necessarily heal more quickly during winter, the lower humidity and cooler air may keep your eyes more comfortable while you do. Bonus: You won’t likely get overheated in winter, so you probably won’t experience the sting of sweat in your eyes.
- Better vision by Spring. Winter LASIK surgery means your new vision can be ready with plenty of time to plan spring and summer outings. That means when you “keep your eye on the ball,” you’ll be seeing it more clearly than ever. Maybe this is the year your team wins that coveted city league softball trophy!
- You can use your HSA/FSA to pay down LASIK. During winter, you’re probably either trying to use Health Spending Account or Flexible Spending Account funds before they expire, or you’ve started a new year with a fully loaded account or carry-over funds. Either way, LASIK qualifies as an eligible expense to use this money for. Since your contributions to an HSA/FSA are untaxed, you’ll save money on LASIK by putting untaxed income toward the cost. Many Detroit LASIK patients combine flex spending with low-interest financing to fast-track their vision correction surgery.
No matter what time of year you wish to have LASIK surgery done, your first step is to determine if you are a candidate for LASIK or a LASIK alternative. From there, your surgeon will discuss the details with you so you can plan for your procedure.
Lake Lazer Eye Center offers convenient and affordable payment plans for SoftTouch LASIK and the ZEISS SMILE procedure, and Dr. Khambati has helped thousands of people from all over the world escape the restrictions of glasses and contacts. In the event that you’re not a candidate for vision correction, we’ll assist you with a contact lens evaluation or a selection of designer and specialty eyewear.